Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Inspiration, NETS-T standards 1-5: NETS 1, 2, 3, 4, 5


Inspiration is a great tool that can be used to orgnize your thoughts on paper.  It is basically a programt that can be used to create the classic spider diagram.  I used it to outline my competency with  NETS 1 through 5 by using two examples of work for each NET which demonstrate my competency in the respective NET.  I also linked the large Turkey in the middle to the official National Educational Technology Standards for Teachers webpage.




1.  Facilitate and Inspire Student Learning and Creativity

It is imperative that educators utilize their subject matter expertise, pedagogy and personal experiences to stimulate their students’ innate inquisitive character with real world as well as technological environments. 

By using Microsoft Word, a word processing program, to create a mock newsletter I promoted innovative ideas as I used Word Art, a font distortion application of Microsoft Word, dropcaps, line art, clipart, custom bullets and borders to draw readers' attention to various parts of the newsletter in a visually appealing way.  I modeled creativity by inserting a scanned self-portrait and utilizing the text wrapping feature.  I further promoted innovative thinking and use of technology through posting the newsletter to my blog, an online personal journal that is open to the public.    

By using Google docs, a web-based word processor, to write a collaborative narrative with colleagues, I am able to model collaborative knowledge construction in a virtual environment.  In Google docs, two peers and I worked remotely on a single document.  Each of us was able to contribute thoughts and edit the ideas of the others from various locations at different times as well as invite feedback from others.  Students could use Google docs to create and edit work with peers from across the room or even around the world.  As I am digitally invited to view and edit my peer’s document through the share application in Google docs, I promoted reflection and assessments of my peers' understanding, thinking, planning, and creative processes.  


2. Design and Develop Digital-Age Learning Experiences and Assessments

After designing a PowerPoint presentation, a computer presentation program, I was able to incorporate this digital tool to promote student learning by teaching my fellow students about ways to creatively demonstrate classroom lesson ideas.

After constructing an online grading rubric on www.rcampus.com, I was able to provide my fellow students with multiple formative and summative assessments of their PowerPoint presentations that aligned with the NET-T content and technology standards.  The students were then able to use the resulting data from the rubric w to inform themselves on their learning and teaching strengths and weaknesses.


3. Model Digital-Age Work and Learning

Through online digital collaboration with fellow students and teachers at www.twitter.com, a real-time information network powered by people all around the world, I was able to communicate with fellow students and my teacher to support student success and innovation.

By creating a Delicious account, a social bookmarking website, I modeled effective use of this new digital tool as I can now locate, analyze, evaluate, and use information resources that I’ve saved in my Delicious bookmarks on any computer thereby supporting research and learning.
  

4. Promote and Model Digital Citizenship and Responsibility
By utilizing the JCCS Internet Safety Project’s website at www.jccsinternetsafety.wetpaint.com, I was able to advocate, model, and teach safe, legal, and ethical use of digital information and technology, including respect for copyright, intellectual property, and the appropriate documentation of sources by creating a collaborative resource on Google Docs that addressed internet safety, cyberbullying, cyber predators, piracy and plagiarism, inappropriate content and social networks. 

By creating an online web log of my classroom projects at  www.ed422exjkrefft.blogspot.com, I both promoted and modeled digital etiquette and responsible social interactions as I consistently demonstrated a high level of integrity when I would comment on my peer’s blog posts which relate to the use of technology and information.


5. Engage in Professional Growth and Leadership

After I became a member of Classroom 2.0 at www.classroom20.com, a online social network for those interested in Social Media in Education, I participated in the local and global learning community by commenting on other educator’s blogs.   The wealth of information that I, as a member, have access to on this website allows me to explore creative applications of technology to improve student learning.

Through becoming a member of the International Society for Technology in Education at www.iste.com, an organization that advances excellence in learning and teaching through innovative and effective uses of technology, I have access to an online journal publication titled Learning and Leading with Technology.  I regularly evaluate and reflect on current research in this publication to make effective use of existing and emerging digital tools and resources in support of student learning.  After reading recent articles, I summarize them on my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment